Saturday, November 21, 2020

Preface

Allow me to introduce myself dear reader. I am Deacon-Sergeant Athen Varmek, novice cleric of this parish and previous servant of the City Watch.

I avow that what follows is a true and accurate account of the strange experiences that befell your humble advocate. Whilst every effort has been made to record with the utmost honesty, any errors in fact - or indeed in spelling or grammar - may simply be attributed to the extreme stress that you shall see the author has experienced. It is a matter of some pride that it remained possible to scribe in a journal throughout; such were the privations endured. I am sure the discerning reader will overlook any occasional lapse in standards.

I make no claim to be the hero of this story, only its narrator. Nor do I claim that I set out on these adventures with a noble purpose. As you will soon see a path was set before me that I had little choice but to tread. Where that path branched, I hope I demonstrate that the necessary path was chosen, even if it may not at first seem just. I pray that my actions may be judged sincere, not only by a reader of this journal but by the gods in this life and the next.

Deacon Sergeant Athen Varmek.
Likeness captured in oil
shortly before his resignation from
The City Watch following
The Horrors of Baxter Street and his
investiture as Deacon and
his subsequent disappearance
Any acclaim that might come from these writings is not by design, but merely from the diligence of this simple actor to document the play in which he found himself cast. 

I commit these memoirs to you, in the hope that you find them instructive. They may fall short of being a moral tale, such as those found in the greatest of the learned writings, but I hope that some cautionary advice might be gleaned that may prevent the reader from falling foul of similar evil most grievous.

At this juncture I am reminded of the missive of a great man of state, Edmundo Bruke, commenting upon social upheaval in a neighbouring land.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men* to do nothing."

Would that we all took such wisdom to heart, then the events I am about to describe would never come to pass. If there is one lesson I should wish you to take from this prose, it is not to wait for a hero of any stature but to stand and be counted in the face of evil.

But enough of my desires. I commend the reader to continue with an open mind for the tale that unfolds may challenge your sensibilities and credulity. I can only attest to its veracity with the utmost energy. Doubt the tale if you must - for I cannot command you to do otherwise - but most of all read on with the hope that what unfolds here may never happen to you.

Next : Chapter I - Giant Menagerie


* with the Author's apologies to those that do not identify with the term 'men'. As you shall soon see my efforts alone would have made a poorer and shorter tale. There are many other actors on this stage with greater import than I. Many of whom would be insulted to be considered human. It may also come as a surprise to a certain set of readers that a considerable portion of the success of this tale is directly attributed to those of the female gender. If such ideas shock you dear reader then the author can merely offer his sincerest hopes that your mind is opened and your prejudices brought crashing down like a great stone castle wall at the earliest opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment