Saturday, November 21, 2020

I - Giant Menagerie

The stench of age an decay assaults my senses even before I can snap open my eyes.

What strangeness has befallen me I am unable to say, but I am not longer at prayer in my beloved temple where I was moments before the sweet serenity of meditation had enwrapped me. Instead I find myself knelt in a hall of what at first impressions appears to be a long since abandoned manor house. Four suits of rusty and dust covered armour align the walls and look down on me dispassionately. A large unlit fireplace dominates one wall, breaking up the oak panelling whilst behind me is a once grand staircase sweeping both up and down. The red carpeted stair is thread bare, moth eaten and rank with the general decay of the whole place.

Barely have I an opportunity to come to my senses but I hear movement and a deep voice from the staircase. Turning quickly I position my spear and shield and make ready for whatever might assault may come my way.

I barely have time to prepare when ambling up the stairs is what I initially thought to be a walking hearth rug in giant form some four hands or more taller than I, humming and muttering to itself with an energetic and far too bouncy small dog of indeterminate breed.

K'hevinK'hostner
What manner of creature this was I did not know but it addressed me in the common tongue and introduced itself as K'hevin. I believe this may be a creature I have heard stories of and seen etchings of knowns as a bugbear. It claims to have no more idea of how it came to this place than I do. Given my own confusion on the subject and despite the vast array of axes and other weaponry the creature carries I am inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt and assume for now that it offers no immediate hostility.

On inspection the dog bears a collar inscribed with the name Lancelot. It does not seem malnurished or maltreated nor does it wish to leave us, though K'hevin claims it is not his.

I exchange formalities and introductions with the creature K'hevin as we each seek to understand where we are, how we arrived here without giving up too much information that might weaken our positions. Its is a dance I know all too well from my street patrolling days in the criminal world. I come to the judgement that K'hevin is male. Polite enough though brash he also smells not faintly of alcohol.

Before I can investigate further, noises from the floor above alert us that we two are not alone. I prepare to move cautiously up the curving stairs only to find that my new companion is somewhat less circumspect and has taken the lead with his largest axe drawn. At least this means I do not have to worry about the giant behind me.

On the landing at the top of the stairs we find a small group of others, the first sight of which I can only describe as a menagerie.

Lazlo
It seems K'hevin and I are merely the latest unwilling travellers to whatever this place is. Cautious pleasantries and introductions are made and it seems the other four are not surprised to meet newcomers. It appears they have only recently arrived in similar uncertain circumstances.

There is one other human that goes by the name of Lazlo. By his garments and lack of overt defences I presume he was either plucked from his boudoir where he was reclining in a robe as the well to do are want. On seeing his pet owl and the way in which he interacts with it I conclude he is some form of spellcaster, 

Reuben Redclaw 
Beyond Lazlo I am both surprised and gratified to see symbols of religions that I recognise. Yet they adorn creatures that I know not except in portraiture the adorns the temple. The first is a giant fur covered feline that I understand is a Leonin. He names himself Reuben. Bedecked in polished armour from head to paw and proudly displaying its deity's symbol this quietly imposing creature is clearly some form of holy warrior. 

Cai
The second is what the mothers on my old patrol would have referred to as 'touched' human in form but blessed by the celestials Cai stands tall and proud, his hair, sin and eyes practically glow as though he is an earthbound wing clipped angel. His bearing, manner and robes proclaim his religious affiliation.

The last of the small group confuses me the most. Blue of skin, with a mane of wild red hair and again giant in stature it rivals the bugbear and Leonin in height if not in build. It goes by the name of Derrumbes and is obviously female. I try to hide my confusion as to her race but ascertain from the conversation that this is a firbolg - a species I have not encountered. 

Derrumbes
It seems I am not the only one confused; from the firbolg's conversation it seems she has very little experience in our world and refers often to 'above ground' as though it is a foreign place.  Her robes are woven of simple cloth and lack colour or ornamentation except for the simply carved symbol I presume to represent some nature goddess or other. 

As introductions are made it becomes clearer that the remainder of the group are ignorant of where we are, why we are here, or what brought us here. All they know is that they awoke to find themselves outside of the house with a pair of young children begging their help to save their parents from a monster in the basement. Their exploration of the house so far has proved fruitless and uneventful other than being accosted by an animated suit of armour shortly before I joined them.

As we continue to explore this floor of the manner we open a few doors and inspect the decaying contents of bedrooms. There are remnants of household clutter, furniture and clothes all aged and decayed beyond measure. Even the décor in this place is vile and almost alive with horrors. In one such room we chance upon some jewellery upon a dresser. Along with the jewellery is an unsent letter that reads.

My Dear Mrs. Petrovna,

Your advice on dealing with the unwanted fiend in my home is very good advice indeed. Tonight's ceremony will proceed as planned when the moon is at its highest peak - without, of course, the attendance of Mr. Durst. I must agree with you that, yes, with such an innocent sacrifice our proceedings may have better results. Although, "innocent" is not quite the term I would use.

My Thanks,

Mrs. Elisabeth Durst


I cannot find it in me to muster much objection when the items are quickly snatched and placed in a backpack. To thieve from such a place is of dubious morality, but I hope I have not fallen in with common thieves. 

I take the letter to study - the mention of a fiend immediately has my hackles raised and an innocent sacrifice does nothing to sooth my distress. It seems that whatever has transpired in this house and the monster in the basement is not unknown to the Lady of the house.

I broach the matter of theft with Cai, but before we can conduct more than the briefest of conversations we are interrupted by the sounds of a child crying from an adjacent room.

I cannot help but have a bad feeling about this.

Next : Chapter II - Infant Mortality



No comments:

Post a Comment